The sun is out at long last but its bitter sweet for us Rosacea sufferers. Sun is the number 1 trigger as voted for in a survey of over 1000 Rosacea sufferers. The sun affects the skin by acting as an astringent to tighten, dry, and clog pores which can make rosacea redness worse (but for a minority of Rosacea sufferers it can actually make it better), so here are my tips for surviving and maybe even enjoying this long overdue heat
Find the right sunscreen formula.
There are two types of damaging rays: In general, UVA rays age skin; UVB rays burn it. Look for non-chemical sunscreens (usually called physical sunscreens )that contain zinc or titanium dioxide and an SPF of 30 or higher.
Physical sunscreens reflect UVA and UVB before it reaches into the skin layers. Chemical sunscreens let the sun into the skin before they beg rosacea skin, in working and the chemicals themselves can be the cause of irritation for Rosacea skin.
95% of all sunscreens manufactured in the world today are chemical sunscreens – because they are cheap to make, you want to hunt out the other 5% which are physical sunscreens for your rosacea skin, eg. La Roche Possay Anthelios sunscreen is good. Don’t forget - as far as rosacea goes sunblock should be applied applied all year round.
Discover Our Finca Skin Organics Facial Sunscreen with broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection and high in SPF available in 2 tints:
Then apply (and reapply) as often as every hour. It’s like playing a game of ping-pong, the UV light is the ball, and your physical sunscreen is the best paddle to hit it away.
Finca skin organics will be releasing a physical sunscreen on www.rosacea.ie website in July this year so do look out for it. In the meantime a good health food shop or even your local pharmacy can recommend physical sunscreens for rosacea skin
Use it early and often.
Apply sunscreen liberally at least 30 minutes before going outdoors and periodically throughout the time spent in the sun. Use it daily whether it's sunny or cloudy
Wear a hat.
Make sure the hat has a wide brim or visor to shade your face. A sun umbrella might also be a good investment if you plan to be out for long.
Limit peak exposure.
If possible, avoid being in direct sunlight from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Plan outdoor activities and exercise for when the sun is not as intense.
Keep your internal body temperature cool.
Remember to stay hydrated by taking along a water bottle. Chewing on an ice cube also helps, especially with flushing. Another tip is to store your SPF in the fridge the night before so it chills as it protects irritable complexions
Try making a homemade cooling facial spray and keep it with you.
Its fairly easy to make these. Firstly make tea using two green tea bags and put into a spray bottle and keep in the fridge until you need it. You can add other cooling ingredients eg. aloe vera gel but remember to shake to distribute the gel through the spray before use.
Don't forget your medicine.
Be sure to continue your medical therapy as prescribed by your doctor but don’t forget that some antibiotics and medicines can make your skin more sensitive to the sun – so get your factors on…